Thursday, February 4, 2016

The One Who Strengthens

This is my second time serving in CI. It’s only the second day of Taipei CI, and I’m already exhausted. At the first day, I thought, "Wow! Things are going so smoothly this year. Children are willing to learn, hear stories and sing." But then to my astonishment, at the second day, things were out of control!

There are a pair of siblings on my team who find it difficult to pay attention. Especially the five-year-old brother, who can barely sit down during the lessons and always wants to climb on the teacher. During the first large group, he had to sit on my lap otherwise he wasn’t able to listen to the stories since he was wriggling all the time. What’s more, he was totally in his own world during the second large group and wouldn't listen to us at all. I love children. I love that they’re naïve and sincere. But honestly, when it comes to kids that are really really difficult to handle, I can hardly face them with a smile, which I know is my weakness.

On the way home, I kept thinking about the sister and the brother on my team. I thought maybe through God’s eyes, sometimes I might be the kid who often refuses to listen to Him and who needs Him to remind me over and over again. But has God abandoned me or ignored me as a result? Absolutely not! During the CI, even though I am the teacher who teaches the children, but I am also a student who needs to be taught. I think maybe God wants me to learn how to love people with patience, and He reminds me that I am not only telling the kids about the gospel, but also living like Christ.

“For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.”- John 13:15

We have two more days left of the CI, I believe God will lead us and work by Himself. Although I might be tired and exhausted, I know I have nothing to fear since He is with me. Just as it says in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” 

Audrey Guo

blog comments powered by Disqus