Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Orphan Can Be Adopted

Where can I see the power of God? During these weeks I have been asking myself this question. I have read about lots of miracles in the Scriptures such as the ten plagues, when Jesus feeds the five thousand, and so on. There were many amazing things that showed me God’s power; however, it never dawned on me that I would find it in the tears of a child.

I am pretty sure that this innocent girl, Dora, with short hair, cute small eyes, and who always wore red or pink shirts, was on my team three years ago. However, I didn’t know her situation back then. All I knew was that she needed to be controlled by medicine every day, that she didn’t pay much attention to the lesson, and that she was almost pettish all the time. This year when I saw her, I was impressed that she had changed a lot; she loved to ask for hugs or to hold hands with a sweet and bright smile on her face. I could see a positive soul in this small body.

I was overwhelmed when I heard her testimony on Sunday at church. She slowly uttered these words: “When I was five, my mom left me,” suddenly she tilted her head, feeling perplexed, “I don’t know why she left me… I think she doesn’t love me.” She paused, doing her best to hold back her tears. Hers is such a small, fragile soul, yet how great is the pain it has borne. She probably still struggles with the pain, but even in the darkest night Jesus is always there, whispering to her. As she went on we began to realize that God Himself has been taking good care of this cute, ten-year-old girl and feeding her with His love.

“I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.” John 14:18-19


She reminded me of the story of the five orphans that we’ve been telling during the CIs this year. Just like them she was once abandoned for some unknown reasons, but God, like the king in the story, came into her life and adopted her, wrapping her up in His arms. Sometimes I feel that my sins are too great to forgive and that everyone has abandoned me. Yet, God wants to be the faithful Father of every single person. God adopts orphans! I didn’t quite understand what that sentence meant until I saw Dora boldly holding the microphone, describing how she lives alone and keeps her little flat tidy by herself. Her Father is God indeed!

What is the biggest thing we can do for the kids during these five-day camps? Admit it: we cannot do much. God is the One that can be with them throughout their entire lives. I met Dora three years ago, and she probably has forgotten me; but, Jesus has been looking after and changing her life. We are so limited and can only do little things, but my prayer is that we will all live in God’s power as we go forward. Look at what Jesus has done for all of the kids and teachers and all people everywhere; isn’t that impressive enough? Behold, more things will be done.


Esther G. Lee


blog comments powered by Disqus